Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I Don't Want to Miss a Card

Since I've started organizing my cards, I've been trying to come up with better ways to catalog them. 

From what I've experienced, spreadsheets are the best way to go for me. I've had some troubles, though, finding the right method of spreadsheet use.

At first, I used Microsoft Excel. The problem with using Excel was I had to save the spreadsheets to a flash drive and could only access them through my laptop.

So I downloaded an app for my phone called Documents to Go where I used a generic spreadsheet, but could access it on my iPhone and iPad. However, I ran into a few snags with it as well. The app synced to my desktop, and after an update for the app, it was unable to sync anymore making newer versions of the spreadsheets unavailable on my desktop.

Around this time, I started up here at the Home of the Toddfather, and cards were coming in and leaving faster than I could keep edit. I was missing cards physically and digitally. At that point, I did the unthinkable. I gave up...for a little while at least. 

Finally, the answer hit me as I sat bored at work one day. You see, my job requires the use of Google for it's everyday "chores". Gmail, Google Chat, Google Calender, Google Drive...

That's it, I decided. I can use Google Drive to help better maintain a record of what I need for certain sets and what I have in my player collections. What a great idea! 

Google Drive allows me to edit the same document from my laptop, work computer, iPad and iPhone while saving all the changes from each and allowing me to organize each book into different folders.

Basically, it is everything I've needed for my organizing (referred to as many by my OCD).



So slowly I've been recompiling my lists, completely retyping everything in order to better understand what I actually have stashed away in my seemingly millions of boxes.


It will be a slow and steady process, but with a little hard work and some free time now that softball is over, I should be able to put a hurting on this daunting task.

Now that I've shared my baseball card organizational configuration, tell me about yours. I'm quite curious if people share my feelings or have something better and easier.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, our paths are very similar. I, too, have settle on Google Drive and I absolutely love it.
    I'm not really into cataloging my collection (the haves), but I do use it religiously for my want lists (the have nots). It's so nice to be able to link my lists to my blog or access them from my phone. Walking into a new card shop or a show has never been easier with my want lists at my fingertips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use www.zistle.com, no more spreadsheets or syncing files.

    ReplyDelete