Friday, September 27, 2013

This End Is Near

Before you say, "Oh, no! Tim's going to preach at about the zombie apocalypse," I assure you, friends, that is not the case.

The end I'm speaking of is that of the career of Todd Helton. I watched with much anticipation Wednesday night as MLB Network aired all of Helton's at bats. As soon as the left his bat in the second inning, I immediately rose from my seat and lifted my hands in the air to celebrate the last home run for Todd at Coors Field. Being my first real baseball hero to retire, I felt a huge comfort come over me knowing at least he wouldn't go 0-for in his last game.


The home run was fitting for a finale at home for Todd, the all-time Rockies leader in the category as well as a host of others. He is, personal opinion of course, the best Colorado Rockie in history. While this winter he proved he was capable of mistakes, one would be hard-pressed to argue all the great things Helton has done in the Denver area, as well as back "home" in Knoxville, TN.

Helton may be nearing the end of his career, but my collection of him is far from ending. Except is you consider my last purchase, which arrived today.


Yes, it is a 2013 Topps Gold...but this is no ordinary gold from Topps. Oh, no no, friends. BEHOLD!!!


It is the 2013 Topps MINI Gold. The last of its kind, literally. A very fitting card to receive as the very end of an amazing career.

Todd may be kept out of Cooperstown for playing at Coors, but he can always be found here at the Home of the Toddfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment