Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Final Countdown: '90s Base Edition IV

The next installment of my favorite Base Sets of the 1990s will continue with one that has been featured here at the Home of the Toddfather twice (that I can remember).

But first let us recap...

#5 - 1995 Score
#4 - 1995 Topps Embossed
#3 - 1997 Leaf

Now for the RUNNER-UP...1994 Fleer Extra Bases!!!


The reason? Isn't it obvious?

I love the photography! Ha!


These over size beauties took their place in my heart on an afternoon trip to the entertainment capital of East Tennessee, Pigeon Forge. My dad bought a package for himself, mom and me just wanting to explore the possibilities. Needless to say, the size was what actually won me over.


Measuring at 2 1/2" x 5 1/8", they were by far the biggest cards I'd ever seen. And honestly the photography is not to shabby either. Nice vibrant colors in all the pictures.


If I had to pick a downfall to the set, it's relatively obvious as well...the design. Fleer must have put all its smarts into the measurement of the card and not the layout. They did do a good job of selling the cards size instead of the design, though. You wouldn't want to overpower the sheer size with so gaudy nameplate.

Overall, this set is an A+ for me.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Took their place in your WHAT? Watch it, it's a family show!

    Also, thanks for the Coopy Bench card. Sorry I pre-empted your other pulls.

    ReplyDelete