Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Final Countdown: '90s Base Edition III

Here I go again (...on my own).

Ok, guys it is time to reveal number three on the 1990s Base Set Countdown. Let's review first...

#5 1995 Score
#4 1995 Topps Embossed

Two set from '95 are on the list. While number three keep the streak alive? Drum roll, please...

My THIRD FAVORITE set from the '90s...1997 Leaf.


1997 Leaf to me is so, what's the word I'm looking for? Oh, elegant compared to others from this decade. Could we draw the parallels to say Tribute and Five Star?

I think so, which would explain why I don't own many of these.


Photography, in my humble opinion, is very good. Love the shots of Brantley showing some emotion and Lankford fighting his way back to the back. (At least he didn't get Hrbeked like Ron Gant.)


The defined, yet undefined silver borders on the sides with the fading out as it gets closer to the player is a really nice touch.

The design with the Leaf logo and team names is pretty rockin' too.

My only gripe with these are the names in bronze cursive. The cursive I don't mind, but bolding the writing so you didn't have to hold the card in the correct amount of light to read it would be nice. (See Lankford above.)


 No big changes to the Rookies in the set. The only addition to denote the RCs in the set is the "Rookie" on each side of the Leaf logo on the banner. Not too flashy like the huge RC logo Upper Deck, Fleer and Topps used circa 2007.

Like the 1995 Topps Embossed, feel free to send me any extra '97 Leaf you have lying around. Or better yet, if anyone knows of a hobby box for sale somewhere, hook a brother up!

As always, thoughts and comments are welcome. Not sure if you feel the same about number three. Definitely curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment