Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Going Back to the Archive

It seems as though that is what Topps is doing in 2013. I'm sure most of you have saw it on Beckett, Cardboard Connections, or somewhere else. At first read, I'm intrigued by the base set. This time around Topps is reportedly using 1972, 1982, 1985, and 1990. Although all the reviews are not that great because of the use of the '90 set, but being a child of the '90s, I'm in love. Just imagine pulling this from a pack.


Yeah, now you're in love. Just admit it. Anyway, I read further and became quite turned off my the inserts. I'm really not digging any of them. I definitely don't like the idea of using the different sports designs in a baseball set. Maybe in a multi-sport set like Classic, but not in 2013 Topps Archives baseball set. What football-loving adult would want to see Jerry Rice on a 1990 Topps baseball? Not many. Nor do I want to see Andrew McCutchen on a 1965 football "tall-boy" or the '72-'73 basketball design.

C'mon, Topps. Let's keep our sports separate. You've all but made it impossible for other card companies to survive making baseball cards (Panini is doing a pretty good job, though). Now you want to combine all the sports? No, thank you. So, I will be purchasing the 2013 Topps Archive, but all the inserts I get, save my player and team collections, will be up for trade. For me to change my mind, these inserts are going to have to absolutely blow my mind. What do you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. I think Topps is using old and recycled designs so they don't have to pay anyone to think of new ones! I think that using old designs is getting WAY to over used!

    ReplyDelete